On the days where your soul is aching for rest, give in to it. Be certain it is not your ego who is asking, but truly your soul in need of a little peace. And then dive fearlessly and shamelessly into tranquility.
Do what you feel is calling out to you. If you don’t know where to begin, here are some ideas to get you started the next time your soul requests some rest and relaxation. We don’t always listen when we feel the nudge, but try to listen intently and without judgment. And realize the good that comes when we let ourselves rest.
10 Ways to Satisfy Your Soul
- Make yourself some tea. Warm and inviting, like a genuine hug. My go-to is Trader Joe’s Peppermint Tea.
- Practice some yin yoga. This passive form of yoga has you holding poses for longer than usual. And though it leaves us feeling amazing, that’s not to say it’s easy. Breathing into these poses can be mentally challenging, so be sure it’s right for you on that day.
- Sit in silence. For 2 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or even longer. And then pick another activity from the list. Meditating for even a few minutes will only enhance what you do after.
- Watch an interesting documentary. Learn something new while wrapped in your favorite blanket on the couch. Nothing sounds better. One of my absolute favorites is Valley Uprising, which shares the timeline of mountain climbers at Yosemite National Park. I am not a climber, but the story was fascinating and the progress climbers have made is unbelievable. Free soloing, rivalries, base jumping, oh my!
- Light a candle. And turn off all of the lights. Enjoy the ambiance.
- Go on a walk. Sometimes when you want to get some exercise, but an intense workout just won’t suit what you need, a walk is the answer.
- Take a solo trip to the grocery store. I realize this is not relaxing for some. In fact, it might just be me who gets a chilled vibe from browsing the aisles.
- Order take out. We don’t do it often, but when we do, we make sure it’s delicious. And the time saved on making dinner for that evening is like a gift in itself.
- Spend time with you favorite person/people. These are the people who make you feel full of light and love. They are positive and inspirational. They bring out your best self and you admire them for their spirit. And if they encourage you to take yourself less seriously – bonus points.
- Curl up with your favorite book. Or a new book you’ve been eager to get your hands on. Dash off to worlds unknown. Get lost in familiar stories or ones you’ve never heard. Escape for just a little while.
It’s important to accept all of your phases – the energetic, the motivated, and the ones in need of rest. Listen to your soul. It knows the way. And if all else fails, ask your ego – and then do the opposite.